Friday 13 January 2023

Day 8: Bouncy, Bouncy Trails & High Camps

Started the day in the wet and grey, finished in the same. Apart from about two hours in the middle, it hasn't stopped crap weather all day long. At least it's warm! I seem to have left the Eucalyptus forest behind and moved more into the pine. A bit like Wales or Scotland really. The trails have been rougher today, lots of heavily washed out sections, still plenty of climbs, but less steep downs. I've also came across a few downed trees across the trail and several sections that have sloughed off the road banks and almost blocking the route. Bikes can get through, but they'll need sorting before wider vehicles can continue. The trees added some fun for the most part, apart from one section where two bigger ones were across the route. I tried to find a way around, but everything dead ended, so in the end I had to turn around and use some tarmac. This allowed me to source fuel as well at Cortegada, near the Portuguese border. 

Once back of the TET, I came across two old ladies walking their tiny little dog, soon after a tree was down, I took a detour up a bank to get around it and was just spinning the back wheel on a big tree when they caught me up and offered to help. They both had soft little nice shoes on and although I'm sure they were strong as, I just said things were buenos and they moved on. I rolled the bike back to the track and moved the offending tree, then as I was about to get on, they popped their heads back around the corner and asked if I was sure? I said a smiley thankyou and popped up the bank and rode by them shouting 'Mucho Gracias' and 'Ciao' as I rode off. 

I lost my top bag on one of the really rough hill climbs today. The stitching on the £32 bag just couldn't cope and ripped the bottom strap clean off. This slackened everything else and off it all tumbled. I found out when I hit a big hole and had to jump off the bike to save it, noticing a distinct lack weight as I did. The fuel bladder was about 300m down hill, the main bag about 600m. What a slog to get back to the bike, I was hot and dehydrated again, so at the next village, there was a beautiful granite source with two big washing troughs, so I sat under the shelter and drank a load of water whilst munching on almonds and appreciating the craftsmanship that had gone into building that source. 


My camp for the night was under some large granite boulders high up on a hillside. It was better sheltered but still really windy and the rain was lashing down on the tent again. We'll see what tomorrow brings. I'm skimming along above Portugal at the moment, meandering towards the final part opf the northern Spanish TET. I thought I might finish it today, but it'll be tomorrow now. I'm fed up with this wind and rain, its like being back home. At least the trails are engaging.