Friday 20 January 2023

Day 16: The Algarve...

I woke up before dawn, frost sat on the bags on the bike and the moon was in its last quarter in the sky. After ablutions, I got back into my sleeping bag to await sunrise. When the sun crested the ridge opposite my camp, the warmth was really welcome. I'd started packing up just before this and once it had cleared the ridge, the tent was all lined up to catch its rays and warmth. 



The way out of the valley was to climb to a small village, then the route traversed to a cafe perched on a crossroads. I stopped for coffee, but not before I knocked over someones little 2 stroke bike, my pannier caught it and it was so light, it just fell over. I picked it back up and leaned it against its tree and went in for coffee. No one inside aid a word. 


Once back on the trails, the route wound on all morning. It seemed to be heading back towards the coast and the Spanish border at a town called Castro Marim. The last of the trails were a bit underwhelming, wide and easy. But if you're starting from the south heading north, as most do, it's a good intro to the route. The very last bit finished on a section of motorway, after taking me the wrong way down an exit ramp. Obviously, the route was planned the other way!!




I stopped at a cafe to eat some fish and ended up with a really odd fish omelete type thing. Still, it filled me up and set me up for what turned out to be a long ride. 

I set off into Spain with a plan to find somewhere to camp along the coast. What I didn't know was that there are orange plantations everywhere, a lot of which are fenced in. The coast road is also a dead end at a place called Matalascanas. Before this, you also have to pass the energy supply storage yards, of which there are miles as it's the main incoming supply for southern Spain!


Matalascanas turned out to be an odd place. It looks like its a holiday destination town, surrounded by a huge national park zone. All the roundabouts have statues on them, dolphins, Atlas holding up the world etc etc. Anyway, a look at the map showed there are no bridges over the estuaries along the coast between there and Jerez. I'd have to go up to Seville, then south from there. 

I ended up on the motorway, chewing up miles. In the end, I opted to crunch out the miles and just ride to Algecirus and stay in another hotel for the night. Arrival was 10.30pm, which meant I ridden for about 12-13 hours in the day. The hotel was expensive, as expected, but the shower was superb and very welcome before I crashed for the night. 

Tomorrow is chores before getting on the ferry to Morocco.