Saturday 7 January 2023

Day 4: Soggy, Soggy, Soggy.

 I hid in the bothy all morning, the weather was cold, very wet and windy. Just like being back in the UK. I used the time to sort out niggling things. I now have a Spain basemap on the GPS. For some reason and despite the laptop and Garmin Basecamp being able to see the maps, the GPS unit couldn't. Swap out the Micro SD card for another with exactly the same files on it and hey presto, I have a map. Stupid electronic faeries playing again!

I also sorted out the cooker, some repairs and found that one of the crashes in the last few days had crushed the plastic tub with all the spare bolts in it. Hey ho.

Around midday, a group of Spanish folk in a 4x4 called by, they told me the forecast was snow above 1600m for the coming night and all the next day, that was enough for me. I decided to drop down from the planned next two days of riding the higher hills and err on the side of caution for once. Having lost my over trousers a couple of days ago had me worrying about hypothermia once I got soaked on my upper thighs, so I duly wrapped up in everything I had and set off down to a tarmac road. 

I ended the day by trying a section of the TET on the lower hills and found it was so slippy and muddy, with some hairy descents between deep washed out ruts surrounded by trees all covered in a beautiful lichen. Again, common sense called out, (I must be getting old!) and I headed to a town, where I booked into a hostal for the night. A hot shower, a shave, some beer and a hot meal seemed a great idea as I was now soaked to my undies again.




Hey ho, we'll see what tomorrow brings and decide from there where to go next!