Wednesday 1 February 2023

Day 27: Spain Again...

I'd had a rubbish nights sleep again. My Thermarest had a slow puncture from the first week, but now it has decided to go down in about 20 minutes. So I ended up sleeping on hard cold ground for the night. This made me grumpy as and I debated long and hard about just going home at this point. 


This trip has had more kit failures that all of the last ten years worth and I'm getting peeved with it to be honest. Still, I set off and eventually sorted out the correct route, The phone was miles out and the lag in its processing is so painful to work with. All day today, I'd missed turnings and had to turn around, wasting fuel, energy, time and enthusiasm because of crap technology. 



Once on the route, the riding was mostly easy with great views though. I rode until around 3pm, not passing a village or fuel stop. At one point I came across a load of lads on UK registered dirt bikes doing a multi day tour to Portugal. I think they were with Trail Riding Rhayader from North Wales. Anyway, I followed them for a short bit but our paths split and I had to peel off to stick to the TET route.

From there, the route just wound its way through the mountains all day. There was one technical section. The route went into single track, this became a washed out descent onto steep loose old trail. This then crossed a river on some very sketchy slabs before a steep and technical climb out back onto normal piste type trail. That section with disappear soon though as the hillside is sliding into the river, taking the trail with it.



After this, loads more scenic and easy open trails until a fuel stop and food for me. The first of the day! I caught up on internet stuff, got some cash from the garage guy on my card and then headed out looking for a camp spot as it was 5pm ish. I ended the day on top of a lovely hill, bathed in the final sunlight of the day, then an alpen glow as the sun set. Once I'd caught up on diary days, that was me for the night. Think its coming up wine time and I need to sort this leak on the Thermarest!