Monday 6 February 2023

Days 33: Alcaniz to Figueres

The morning started off as normal, not so cold with some cloud cover and even a spatter of rain. The route twisted and turned through lots of olive and vine fields as it has done for days now. I kept one wary eye on the heavy black clouds, but the route seemed to skirt the edge of it all for the morning. 

Cold air seemed top be the order of the day once out from under the cloud, with a brisk cross wind that chilled me to the bone through every layer. I couldn't find anywhere to get breakfast and more importantly, coffee, so I just kept riding trying to keep warm. I stopped at a village supermarket for some bread and fruit. The women in there never shut up the entire time I was there. It was all warm and friendly and good to see.

I finished he next GPX file and made a start on the next one. This was random, it followed a pebble riverbed for ages, before climbing back onto solid ground again. You'd never know it was there as it was hidden in a load of 8ft canes all the way.


A concern was growing in my head as I was riding in this cold. The route was supposed to cross the Pyrenees, either by Andorra or by a Pass west of there. Either way, it wouldn't be possible at the moment, both with snow and ice. So my brain started to work on alternatives. In the end I chose to head towards Barcelona, then upto the French border. The coastal route seemed to offer the best chance of avoiding the black mounting clouds and any ice issues. I jumped on tarmac around 2pm and by 6pm was in Figuares booking into a hotel. I couldn't stand another night on freezing ground, so opted for a bed. Tomorrow, I'll cross into France and look for a Decathlon or even just head north and back to Blighty. The weather this far north is as cold and damp as Britain and there is no pleasure in being freezing cold all day long. The French TET will be there for next time. One concern is my rear tyre. I may need another to do the 800km to the French north coast! Cross that bridge when i get to it. Meanwhile. the bar is calling!