Saturday 2 July 2022

Ireland: John Wayne, Drystone Walls and More Beach Riding

 We headed around to Westport, where I'd been before and had Guinness and oysters at the bar on my last Ireland trip. I thought I might be on familiar round, but I didn't really recognise any of it. 

Gareth knew the area well though, so he acted as a tour guide and took me to Cong, which is where the statue of John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara stands celebrating the film, the Quiet Man. The town also has loads of beautiful old buildings. 






En route, I kept stopping as there were some unique and interesting drystone walls, something Gareth took the piss out of me for!




We headed towards Omey Island, via the Sky Road, only to find a tidal beach road running across to it. After a quick tour around, Gareth got out the wooden mallet and we had a filming session of him razzing across with Thor's Hammer leading the charge!








We camped next to a massive beach called the Silver Strand. People were camped all over the place in a farmers field and a car park next to the beach. A run back into Killadoon, some 20 miles away, saw shopping for provisions and wine, which saw us sorted for the night.